Monday, January 30, 2012

Jacob's Letter of Introduction


Samuel & Jacob are starting 'big school' tomorrow. I've written a letter on Jacob's behalf which will be distributed to all the other children at his school. Here it is -
Hi, my name is Jacob Carroll and I'm starting kindy this year with my identical twin brother, Samuel. I wanted to introduce myself because you'll notice that whilst we're identical twins I look slightly different to my brother and probably most of you.
I was born with a condition called cerebral palsy (CP) which is a physical condition that affects movement. It affects the whole of my body and means that I find it difficult to keep my balance and keep still. I have shaky movements and it often takes me longer to complete physical tasks but I get there in the end.
You'll notice that I can't walk on my own and I have a wheelchair to ride in. I have a walking frame which I use for short distances. None of this stops me from being able to play and have fun with my brother and friends!
If you see me in my classroom and around school without my hat on you'll notice that I have some hearing aids on my head. These are cochlear implants and if I'm not wearing them it means I can't hear you or anything else because I'm deaf in both ears. I've been deaf since I was born and was lucky enough to get my implants when I was 2.5 years old. When they were 'switched on' I didn't hear straight away and I've had to learn to listen with them. I can now hear really well but I don't hear in the same way as a 'hearing person' does. I have to concentrate really hard to listen to a person who's talking to me. If there are a lot of people talking at once I find it difficult to know what anyone is saying. If you pass me in the playground and say 'hi' I might not hear you so please don't think I'm ignoring you. If you want to talk to me it's a good idea to make sure I can see your face and that will help me to know you're talking to me.
I'm really excited to be starting school and am looking forward to making lots of friends.

1 comment:

  1. Great letter - I hope they have a great first day tomorrow! What a big milestone for our little miracle babies!!!

    ReplyDelete